Wednesday, December 3, 2014

George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 5-Book Boxed Set (Song of Ice and Fire series): A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons

George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones 5-Book Boxed Set (Song of Ice and Fire series): A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons



button

CUSTOMER REVIEW
review


I wanted to read the Song of Ice and Fire series as an eBook on my iPad, and this set was the most cost-effective means of getting the 5 books, so I bought it. I won't comment on the books themselves at this stage because I'm only 10% of the way through the second book, except to say that I was inspired to buy the novels after watching Seasons 1 and 2 of HBO's Game of Thrones television series.

The blurb for this ebook does not tell you that what you will receive (unless it has since been changed) is the content of 5 books packaged into one single eBook file. This has got to be one of the most most bone-headed decisions I have come across in a long while. I see one icon in my kindle reader that encompasses all five books. So I don't see the covers of the individual books as depicted on the paperbacks.

Secondly, when you have an ebook that is nearly 5,000 pages long, things like trying to scroll to a particular page is not very accurate, and so on. It also means that if I want the eBook on my iPhone, I have to have the entire 5,000 pages on the phone etc.

I realise on the one hand my gripe is not that big a deal, but on the other hand it was very frustrating to expect one thing and receive another. The reality is that the publisher has specifically had to go to the trouble of concatenating these books into one eBook rather than just supplying the ebooks separately as you would get if you bought them separately. And I can think of no good reason for doing this.

In the end, I discovered by chance that Amazon allows you to get a refund on your ebooks within 7 days of purchase, so I refunded the combined set and bought the eBooks individually. Yes it cost a little more but at least I now have a more manageable collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gallery

2014 © Planer - Responsive Blogger Magazine Theme - Published By Gooyaabi Templates
Planer theme by Way2themes